Installing WordPerfect 8.0 on RPM-based distros
The following instructions are known to work for installing WordPerfect 8.0 DPE
on OpenSuse 11.4.
They will probably also work with WordPerfect 8.0 PE.
It is possible that they may also work, perhaps with some modification, on some
other current RPM-based distros. But it is known that they will not work on
PCLinuxOS 2011.07, nor on Mageia.
The procedure is as follows.
1. Download shlibs5-2001.7.30.209.i586.rpm.
It can be downloaded
or from the present site:
2. In a terminal, as root, install shlibs with the command:
rpm -i shlibs5-2001.7.30.209.i586.rpm
3. Edit /etc/ld.so.conf by adding a line:
4. As root in a terminal, give the command:
5. As root in a terminal, give the command:
5. As root in a terminal, create a symbolic link:
ln -s /usr/share/X11/locale /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
6. The actual installation of WordPerfect 8.0 is effected by running in a
terminal a script provided by WordPerfect. In the case of WordPerfect 8.0 DPE,
the script file is named "Runme". In the case of WordPerfect 8.0 PE, it is named
In the case of WordPerfect 8.0 DPE, the installation tarball should be extracted
with ark. Then, in a terminal, from the extraction directory, one gives
In the case of WordPerfect 8.0 DPE in OpenSuse 11.4, the graphical installer
should load, but many of the characters in the installation screen may be replaced
by gobbledegook. This does not matter much, as in general one can simply accept
the default option and the installation should succeed. But it is essential
to give a valid directory for installation when the relevant screen so requests.